A modest but high quality production ranking 17 in the world, mainly dry and sweet whites.
Surface : 45 900ha Production : 1,7 Mhl Consumption: 2,5 Mhl
- soils : granit, basalt, limestone, alluvium, silt
- climate: continental with a contrasted seasonality between cold winters and warm summers
- main grape varieties : whites (approx. 70%): grüner veltiner, welschriesling, riesling and reds (approx. 30%) : zweigelt, blaunfränkisch, pinot noir
Main wine regions
Three main wine regions at the east of the country :
- South : Steiermark
- South-east : Burgenland, famous for its sweet wines from Rust and Lake Newsiedl
- North-east : Nierderösterreich, representing some 50% of the production
Regulation and classification similar to those of Germany :
There are 7 levels according to the sugar content.
There is also a classification derived from the French AOC model : Districtus Austriae Controllatus ou DAC.
Site : www.austrianwine.com/